Fresh from the waters of Lake Erie, yellow perch is a wonderful dish for every taste and occasion. It is considered the ultimate pan fried fish. These colourful fish are mild & sweet tasting with delicious white, flaky fillets. The secret to successful perch cookery is to not overcook. Your perch will be cooked when its flesh becomes opaque yet is still moist on the inside.
Pan Fried Yellow Perch
- 1 lb. fresh yellow perch fillets
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 cups finely crushed soda cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, plus 4 tbsp. for deglazing
- 1 lemon, plus extra lemon wedges for serving
How to Cook
- Set up 3 shallow bollows. Bowl 1 contains a mixture of the flour, salt and black pepper. You may also add a dash of your favourite spice, such as cayenne pepper or paprika (optional). Bowl 2 contains the eg lightly whisked. Bowl 3 contains the cracker crumbs. You may substitute with bread crumbs, cornmeal or panko crumbs.
- Dip each fillet into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture and then the crumbs, coating each side of the fillet completely during each of these 3 steps.
- Heat a fry pan to medium high. Melt the 1/2 cup butter.
- Place a coated fillet in the hot pan and cook until golden brown (approx. 3 minutes per side). Flip fillet to cook the second side. Remove fillet and drain on a paper towel before serving. Fry remaining fillets, adding butter to the pan between fillets if necessary.
- When all the fillets are cooked, add 4 tbsp. of butter to the hot fry pan and squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Stir the butter and juice to loosen the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Plate the browned perch fillets and pour the hot sauce over them. Serve with lemon wedges.
Serves 6 to 8 persons.